Unlike other forms of marketing, in digital marketing activities are conveniently broken into three categories – Paid, Owned and Earned Media – POE Media.
The various digital marketing tools (online public relations, content marketing etc) can neatly fit within one or multiple categories. The difference between each category can be described as:
- Paid Media: any advertising that a business has purchased to use or has paid external agents to stimulate publicity.
- Owned Media: any digital channel that a business owns and therefore controls the content distributed.
- Earned Media: content generated by persons other than the business, including customers, consumers and journalists. Whist earned media can be flattering for many businesses, challenges include very limited control over what is written and posted.
It is not about chosing one or the other.
Whilst using each individual type of media has its rewards, the combination or integration of paid, owned and earned media can facilitate more leads, generate word of mouth marketing and ultimately improve profits for your business.
When using social media, which can be both Owned and Paid, a new “media” becomes increasingly important:
Social media plays a large role in “shared” media. There’s a big opportunity to reach your customers where they spend a lot of their time. Through well-crafted social posts and digital strategies, many potential customers will begin to like, comment and share your posts. This leads to more potential customers seeing the posts and sharing as well. They are helping you execute your strategy! Also, reaching out to influential bloggers and guest posting will help with shared media.
Some interesting links:
- Paid, Owned, Earned – POE media. The difference explained by Titan Growth.
- How to use POE Media explained on Small Bizz trends.
- Very graphic explanations of POE Media on Smart Insight that makes it very accessible.
- OK, POE Media is critical, but do not forget that what makes the difference is UX – User Experience. Great contribution onAdAge.com
- Next step after Paid Owned Earned media according to Convince and Convert.
- The PESO Model – Paid, Earned, Shared, Owned – according to pyxl.com. Why not?